Mid-West Mommy

My life as a mother, a wife, a farmer's daughter and a caretaker for my aging grandparents and the effects of Type One Diabetes on three generations of a Midwestern family.

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Coming into Focus

Today was a good day.  I went to see my OB today and had another ultrasound.  I got to see my baby's heart beating, and then I heard it as well.  It was a rather awe-inspiring moment.  There really are no words to describe what it is to know that there is someone growing inside you.  

I found out something else as well. I am only seven weeks along as opposed to the eight weeks that the doctor figured based on my last period.  This is excellent news.

It means that my blood sugars were under control a whole week ealier in my pregnancy than my health care team thought originally.  I have to say that made me very happy.  It means that more of the crucial developement time was spent in a healthy environment.

I think that the reality is really hitting me today.  The finger sticking and carb counting is a lot easier to do when I can see the tiny reason for it all.

Even if it was only a grainy black and white picture on an ultrasound.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for starting this blog; I am 24 years old and have had type 1 for 7 years. My husband and I want to start trying for our first child in about 2 years and so I am just now starting to work on getting my blood sugars under better control. They were awful when I was in college (as high as 10.9 a1c at one point) and since I graduated 2.5 years ago I have slowly been working on it. My last a1c was 7.5...I am terrified of being pregnant and completely identify with a lot of what you've written so far. Good luck!

5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home